Set Up Your Account
Let’s get you all set up
- Download the Snapchat app for iOS or Android
- Open Snapchat, tap ‘Sign Up,’ and fill out your account info
- Create a username. Usernames can’t be changed, so please choose wisely!
- Choose a secure password that’ll be easy to remember. Create one over 10 characters long to make it extra strong
- Enter a valid email address
- Enter your phone number and verify it. This is optional, but if you ever get locked out of your account for any reason, we’ll now be able to send you a password reset link over SMS!
- Find your friends. Allow access to your contacts to easily get in touch with all your friends on Snapchat!
- Snapchat should walk you through the rest!
Capture a Snap
Capturing Photo and Video Snaps
Tap the camera button to take a photo Snap. Press and hold the button record a video Snap!
Tap this to switch between the selfie and rear-facing cameras. You can also double-tap the screen the switch cameras, too!
Tap this to enable or disable flash!
Capturing Multi Snaps
Need more than 10 seconds to capture the moment? You can take multiple Snaps in a row and choose which ones to send!
To take a Multi Snap…
- Press and hold the button on the Camera screen
- Keep holding the button even after the time runs out — it’ll automatically start recording another Snap!
- When you’re done, your Snaps will appear at the bottom of the screen. Keep the ones you want, and drag any you don’t like into the trash
- Edit your Snap like usual! Any effect you add will be applied to every Snap at the same time
Some other key facts about Multi Snaps
- You can find Multi Snaps in your Memories under the ‘Snaps’ and ‘All’ tabs
- You can’t separate a single Snap from a Multi Snap
- If you save a Multi Snap to your Camera Roll, it’ll save as a single seamless video
- If you end up having trouble sending a Multi Snap to My Story, you can always find your Snaps on your Stories screen and try resending each one individually
- Multi Snaps can’t be looped, reversed, or include 3D stickers at the moment
Send a Snap
After you create a Snap, there are tons of things you can do with it! You can send it to a friend or two, send it a Group, add it to your Story, or share it with the world on Our Story!
To send a Snap…
- Create a Snap like usual
- On the ‘Send To’ screen, select the friends and Stories you want to send the Snap to
- Tap the button to send your Snap!
- Snaps you share on Our Story can show up all around Snapchat — in Discover, Search, and even on the Snap Map!
Originally published 01/22/18, updated 03/22/18.