What Are the Basics of Snapchat?
Set Up Your Account
Let’s get you all set up 👻
- Download the Snapchat app for iOS or Android 📲
- Open Snapchat, tap ‘Sign Up,’ and fill out your account info 📝
- Create a username. Usernames can’t be changed, so please choose wisely!
- Choose a secure password that’ll be easy to remember. Create one over 10 characters long to make it extra strong 💪
- Enter a valid email address 📧
- Enter your phone number and verify it 📞 This is optional, but if you ever get locked out of your account for any reason, we’ll now be able to send you a password reset link over SMS!
- Find your friends 👯 Allow access to your contacts to easily get in touch with all your friends on Snapchat!
- Snapchat should walk you through the rest!
Capture a Snap
Capturing Photo and Video Snaps 📸
🔘 Tap the camera button to take a photo Snap. Press and hold the button record a video Snap!
🔄 Tap this to switch between the selfie and rear-facing cameras. You can also double-tap the screen the switch cameras, too!
⚡️ Tap this to enable or disable flash!
Capturing Multi Snaps 🎞️
Need more than 10 seconds to capture the moment? You can take multiple Snaps in a row and choose which ones to send!
To take a Multi Snap…
- Press and hold the 🔘 button on the Camera screen
- Keep holding the 🔘 button even after the time runs out — it’ll automatically start recording another Snap!
- When you’re done, your Snaps will appear at the bottom of the screen. Keep the ones you want, and drag any you don’t like into the trash 🗑️
- Edit your Snap like usual! Any effect you add will be applied to every Snap at the same time 🎨
Some other key facts about Multi Snaps 🔑
- You can find Multi Snaps in your Memories under the ‘Snaps’ and ‘All’ tabs
- You can’t separate a single Snap from a Multi Snap
- If you save a Multi Snap to your Camera Roll, it’ll save as a single seamless video ▶️
- If you end up having trouble sending a Multi Snap to My Story, you can always find your Snaps on your Stories screen and try resending each one individually
- Multi Snaps can’t be looped, reversed, or include 3D stickers at the moment 😬
Send a Snap
After you create a Snap, there are tons of things you can do with it! You can send it to a friend or two, send it a Group, add it to your Story, or share it with the world on Our Story!
To send a Snap…
- Create a Snap like usual 📸
- On the ‘Send To’ screen, select the friends and Stories you want to send the Snap to 🤔
- Tap the button to send your Snap!
- Snaps you share on Our Story can show up all around Snapchat — in Discover, Search, and even on the Snap Map!